Friday, February 22, 2008

Garmin Zumo 550 Motorcycle GPS




Works well on both bikes
I purchased the Garmin Zumo 550, along with the extra cradle and wiring harness since I have two Harleys. I combined them with the E-Caddy locking system on both bikes. On my Softail it was an easy installation and works very well, except of course you cannot hear the audio prompts on the bike, unless you install speakers.

On the Ultra I wired the sound through my radio speakers using a 3.5 mm cable and using the Aux port, that you can use with your MP3 player etc.
The prompts are loud and clear.
Garmin GPS

The 550 works very well. I alternate it between both bikes and my car. The suction mount for the car leaves a little to be desired, but the 550 has great features including the Bluetooth capability and also the screen slider to use with heavy gloves. So far so good, but it is the best system I have had in over 45 years of riding. I recommend it to anyone.
Doug P

Zumo 550 problems
I have now had two Zumo 550's completely fail. The first made it three weeks, the second made it 4 weeks-Failure is the same on both units-simply died (not a battery issue).

As the weather prohibits riding a MC at the moment, my only experience with the 550 has been in a car. When it works, very good and easy to use.

While the store replaced the first one (and they will replace the second one), I expect much better from a product at this price point. I will be asking for a refund at this point.

Suffice it to say that I have zero confidence that this unit will survive when exposed to the vibrations and weather on a motorcycle!

The Garmin Garmin zumo 550 Motorcycle Navigator GPS is the first fully-featured, no compromises GPS navigator designed exclusively for motorcyclists with glove-friendly, left-handed controls. Specific features of the new zumo 550 include Bluetooth wireless technology. This feature allows users to place hands-free mobile phone calls when paired with a compatible phone that has Bluetooth wireless technology. Incoming calls are answered by simply tapping the zūmo’s screen and speaking through the helmet mic or optional external mic. A user can also make a call from zūmo’s huge points of interest database – which includes hotels, restaurants, stores, and much more. Customers will also wirelessly receive navigation audio prompts when using a compatible helmet. By connecting to the wired stereo audio jack, users can also listen to MP3s and optional Satellite Radio (subscription required). zūmo 550 comes preloaded with highly detailed City Navigator NT maps containing detailed road maps throughout the entire United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. Map data for the zūmo 550 is provided by NAVTEQ the world leader in premium-quality mapping. This industry leading navigation database allows the user to look up nearly six million points of interest such as restaurants, hotels, transportation hubs, and banks.




No comments: